Like a Jed Lowrie hitting streak, the early success in picking games this week could not be sustained and they did indeed fall to earth last night. The Angels' bullpen didn't help. But then again, the Angels are hurting themselves with that pen more than they are hurting these picks. Sad. There were a lot of good picks too. The Nationals pick was a good one as was the Cardinals, Blue Jays and Marlins. But picking the Red Sox? That couldn't have gone more wrong, could it? Even man-crush, Ian Kennedy, lost. And the Dodgers lost. But whatever happened, it was all eclipsed by Jamie Moyer. That was awesome, wasn't it?
Tonight is another full night of baseball. So let's get to it. Here are Wednesday's picks:
- The Mets over the Braves: What is doing better right now, R.A. Dickey's pitching or his book sales? Jair Jurrjens has not been the same pitcher since the All Star Break last season.
- The Pirates over the Diamondbacks: This is a seriously tough pick. James McDonald has looked awfully good so far. Daniel Hudson got hit around his last outing. Going with McDonald.
- The Nationals over the Asros: Who besides this picker is hoping a team like the Nationals can win the NL East? Wouldn't that be cool? Anyway, Jordan Zimmermann is really good. Lucas Harrell can be really good too. But the Nationals can hit. The Astros? Not so much.
- The Yankees over the Twins: Hiroki Kuroda just needs to be decent to win this game. Jason Marquis makes his first appearance for the Twins. Never pick those kinds of situations.
- The Blue Jays over the Bay Rays: David Price always seems to be the Blue Jays. But he doesn't seem quite right so far this season. Brandon Morrow is just as good an arm as Price. Blue Jays win at home.
- The Cubs over the Marlins: Matt Garza returns to Florida. Not too many pitchers have been better than Garza since the start of 2011 to today. Mark Buehrle is without a win so far.
- The Rangers over the Red Sox: This game will be a lot closer than last night. Josh Beckett looked good his last time out and Derek Holland is capable of a shutdown on every appearance. Should be a great game.
- The White Sox over the Orioles: Jake Peavy was so good his last time out that he made a believer here. Going with him over Tommy Hunter, who usually self-destructs about the fifth inning or so.
- The Tigers over the Royals: The Royals sure are struggling right now and it's all a bit sad. But it won't get better tonight as Jonathan Sanchez seems incapable of pitching an efficient game. Max Scherzer hasn't looked great either. Tough call, this.
- The Brewers over the Dodgers: Despite a horrible outing last time out, Zack Greinke has to be the pick here. He should be better than Chris Capuano.
- The Reds over the Cardinals: Jaime Garcia simply doesn't do it for this picker. His stuff has looked awfully flat for a long time now. Mat Latos hasn't impressed either. But he is capable of a bit outing and this will be it.
- The Rockies over the Padres: Juan Nicasio sure didn't have fun returning to Coors Field his last time out. Perhaps this one will be better. This picker can never muster the courage to pick Clayton Richard.
- The Athletics over the Angels: You never know what to expect from Bartolo Colon (or Shrek as the wife calls him). He can be brilliant and he can be hit around in equal measures. Who knows. Ervin Santana has been less than inspiring to pick, and that bullpen!
- The Giants over the Phillies: Matt Cain over Cliff Lee. That is all.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Indians over the Mariners: Derek Lowe is enjoying himself these days. Jason Vargas is rarely enjoyable.
Games of the Day: 8-5