June got off to a rousing start with a 10-4 picking start. That Mets pick sort of worked out didn't it? Nice going, Johan Santana. Good for you and for the Mets. The Angels over the Rangers was another particularly good pick. Mike Trout again stole the show. The guy is the most exciting player in the game right now. On the flip side, the Pirates won easily and the picks did not see that coming. Nor was the Padres victory foreseen. Coors Field killed Capuano and that should have been predicted but wasn't. And Kyle Kendrick continues to pitch well and the picks just can't seem to believe it. But that was it. It was a good day. The only sadness was the rain out of the Nationals game against the Braves.
Can the good times continue to roll? Let's take a look at Saturday:
- The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: Felix Doubront is one of this picker's favorite young pitchers. He is really poised and he knows what he is doing. Kyle Drabek on the other hand cannot seem to harness his great ability and the Red Sox will wait him out and do him in.
- The Royals over the Athletics: Pitchers coming off the disabled list like Brandon McCarthy scare this picker. Plus, the A's can't hit. Going with the Royals and Luke Hochevar.
- The Braves over the Nationals: The picks yesterday had Stephen Strasburg over Mike Minor. But fortunately for the Braves, the game was rained out and now Brandon Beachy can match up with Strasburg. And Beachy will win it.
- The Phillies over the Marlins: Cole Hamels has been a lock all season. Ricky Nolasco is capable of a shut down game, but the Phillies are doing well right now.
- The Rockies over the Dodgers: Coors Field is really rearing its ugly head this season. Did they get rid of the Humidor? The Dodgers lose their sixth in a row as Aaron Harang gets hit and Juan Nicasio does better.
- The Mariners over the White Sox: The Mariners are going to steal this game behind the surprisingly effective Hector Noesi. Noesi has pitched well with little to show for it. He needs to get rewarded. Gavin Floyd can be had by the Mariners' offense. This is the upset pick of the day.
- The Cardinals over the Mets: R.A. Dickey is having a superb season. But so is Lance Lynn. Look for the Cardinals to get all the hits they didn't get on Friday.
- The Brewers over the Pirates: This game all depends on Shaun Marcum. If he pitches well, the Brewers win. If he doesn't, they lose. It's as simple as that as Erik Bedard will keep the Pirates in the game.
- The Diamondbacks over the Padres: The Diamondbacks sure have been disappointing this season. But now that Daniel Hudson is back, maybe they can start stringing wins together. Edinson Volquez is the unknown in this one.
- The Giants over the Cubs: The Cubs are not going to be trading Matt Garza if he doesn't start pitching better. Perhaps this will be the day. But it won't matter as Matt Cain will shut down the Cubs' offense.
- The Astros over the Reds: The 'Sros steal one against the Reds behind Wandy Rodriguez. The lefty should neutralize Bruce and Votto. Mat Latos has been decent, but not great for the Reds.
- The Twins over the Indians: Man, is this pushing the envelope with too many upset picks? Just think that P.J. Walters can get a win with Josh Tomlin pitching showing a lot of rust after an extended absence.
- The Yankees over the Tigers: The Yankees will wait out Rick Porcello and get to him eventually. The key will be how well Hiroki Kuroda does against Fielder and Cabrera. The bigger park should help Kuroda.
- The Rangers over the Angels: Yu Darvish needs to come up big because you know that C.J. Wilson will pitch well. But Darvish can rise to the occasion.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Bay Rays over the Orioles: The Orioles are falling. The Bay Rays will win behind Jeremy Hellickson. Brian Matusz should keep the Orioles in the game, but it won't be enough.
Games of the Day: 34-22