The picks for yesterday started out with four straight correct ones. Then there were five straight incorrect ones. By the time the day was over, they staggered just a game under .500. Greinke was great. The bullpen was not. The Mets shellacked the Bay Rays. The Rangers won and Nicholi was glad that one was wrong. Those dang Tigers. They can't even beat the Cubs. Sheesh. The Cardinals had eleven hits, ten in the first five innings but hit into three double plays, only scored one run and lost. The Padres won. The Athletics won. It just wasn't a fun day of picking.
That's two straight losing days and interleague is not as much fun as when it started. Let's see if Wednesday can do better: The picks:
- The Nationals over the Blue Jays: The pick has to go with Stephen Strasburg. He was not picked in his last outing and the face palm marks are still visible. Kyle Drabek will try to undermine the pick for sure.
- The Orioles over the Pirates: Kevin Correia will not be able to contain the Orioles who are still flying. They get Brian Roberts back after a year and he promptly gets three hits. Who does that? Brian Matusz with the win.
- The Red Sox over the Marlins: Felix Doubront had the rare unsuccessful start last time out. He will rebound in this one and the Red Sox hit Ricky Nolasco. If this pick is wrong, the Red Sox just are not very good.
- The Reds over the Indians. Joey Votto is unstoppable right now. Mat Latos has been better and Derek Lowe has lost some of his early luster.
- The Yankees over the Braves: Tim Hudson will give the Yankees some trouble and the Yanks bullpen has been overtaxed. But the boys from the Bronx have been pretty much unstoppable lately. Hiroki Kuroda will have to be good though.
- The Bay Rays over the Mets: Picking against R.A. Dickey has been really stupid this year and this picker has been that stupid often. But this game is David Price. This one should not be stupid.
- The Rangers over the Diamondbacks: Wade Miley has been great and is 7-2. But a lot of really good pitchers go to die in the Rangers' home park. Going with Matt Harrison in this one.
- The Tigers over the Cubs: Might as well continue this lunacy. Have all year. Why stop now? Rick Porcello over Matt Garza. Heaven help us all.
- The Brewers over the Royals: This one is impossible to predict. Jonathan Sanchez versus Randy Wolf? Yeah. Your guess is as good as this one.
- The Phillies over the Twins: Cole Hamels has hit a little rough patch in the road his last three starts. But his left arm should hold back the Twins enough for the Phillies to take the game. P.J. Walters had his worst start in an otherwise good season last time out.
- The White Sox over the Cardinals: The White Sox are catching the Cardinals during a bad stretch. Jake Peavy will keep the Cards' woes going a little longer. Lance Lynn is 9-2 but hasn't been quite as sharp lately. His left arm does take Adam Dunn out of the picture though.
- The Athletics over the Rockies: Another crapola pick to make. Tommy Milone is homer prone on the road and it doesn't get any worse than Coors Field. But the Rockies are starting Josh Outman, whose name is an oxymoron.
- The Angels over the Dodgers: Do you think C.J. Wilson is overrated? This picker doesn't. He will hold the Dodgers down and the Angels will get a few runs off of Nathan Eovaldi.
- The Mariners over the Padres: This pick was wrong yesterday. We'll see what today holds. Hector Noesi has been a bit of a hit and miss starter. Sometimes he looks great. Other times, not so much. Jason Marquis goes for the Padres and he has had nothing all season. Of course, saying that, he'll throw a gem tonight.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Giants over the Astros: It is a pretty sure bet that Matt Cain will pitch a good game. The only question is if the Giants score on J.A. Happ.
Games of the Day: 39-28