Sunday, June 14, 2015

MLB Game Picks - Sunday: June 14, 2015

Yesterday was a 9-6 picking day. It could have been at least one correct pick better if the Mets' bullpen hadn't crashed and burned. Collin McHugh crashed and burned too. That let me down. The Blue Jays won again, I believe their tenth in a row. That always leaves a picking dilemma because all streaks have to end some time. The entire AL East is weird right now. The Red Sox and Yankees look terrible and every other team in the division is playing gangbusters. Let's see what happens today.
Sunday's picks:
  • The Indians over the Tigers: I didn't know what to do with this one. I don't like picking the Indians on the road. And Corey Kluber has only shown glimpses of his last year form. But if he is on, look out. Alfredo Simon goes for the Tigers.
  • The Braves over the Mets: I've already shown how when I pick too many road games I get in trouble. But I like Mike Foltynewicz and can now spell his name. And Dillon Gee can't seem to get out of his own way this year.
  • The White Sox over the Rays: All that said and I pick my third straight road team. Oy. But it is Chris Sale! I have to! Of course, Nate Karns has been awful tough too. Geez.
  • The Marlins over the Rockies: I think it is safe to finally pick a home team. Dan Haren is quietly having a good year. Jorge De La Rosa is probably the Rockies' most reliable starter though.
  • The Orioles over the YankeesAdam Warren has been the most consistent Yankee starter and watch, when Ivan Nova comes back, it will be Warren that gets booted to the bullpen. But the Yankees look terrible right now and the Orioles look great. Mike Wright goes for them.
  • The Pirates over the PhilliesA.J. Burnett out-duels Cole Hamels. That is all.
  • The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: I have to start picking that the Blue Jays' streak will end. It's the law of averages. And Eduardo Rodriguez has been terrific for the Red Sox. Marco Estrada is someone the Red Sox can tee off against.
  • The Astros over the Mariners: I really like Lance McCullers and I think the Mariners' offensive explosion was a one time thing. I am going with the Astros doing well against Roenis Elias and winning this one.
  • The Nationals over the Brewers: I haven't been doing too well picking aces lately. but they are aces for a reason. Max Scherzer really should win this one even though Taylor Jungmann was really good in his MLB debut.
  • The Cardinals over the Royals: The Royals are one team that really suffers when losing their DH in a National League park. The Cards have already taken the first two games. Now we will see if they can sweep with John Lackey on the mound against Chris Young.
  • The Angels over the Athletics: The Angels finish the sweep and beat my favorite, Sonny Gray, in the process. That is because Matt Shoemaker will be good too.
  • The Giants over the Diamondbacks: The Giants haven't scored at all in this series, but that could change today as they face Rubby De La Rosa who has been getting hit hard lately. I'm always leery of a pitcher coming off a no-hitter, but Chris Heston is my pick today.
  • The Dodgers over the Padres: This pick was wrong yesterday as Ian Kennedy held the Dodgers down (surprisingly). James Shields is currently capable of that as well. But I have had great success picking Mike Bolsinger thus far this year and I'm sticking to it.
  • The Cubs over the RedsJon Lester has to keep the top of the lineup in check and then deal with Todd Frasier, a good right-handed bat. If he can do those things, he can win. He will have to be on his game because Anthony DeSclafani has been pretty solid for the Reds.
And the Pick of the Day:
  • The Rangers over the Twins: The Rangers have been on a roll and the Twins are rolling backwards. Phil Hughes will give up a homer or two and Nick Martinez will continue his good pitching. The wild card here is Buxton.
Yesterday: 9-6, June: 92-82, Season: 470-435, Picks of the Day: 36-31

No comments: